How Working in Canada Can Lead to Permanent Residency

How Working in Canada Can Lead to Permanent Residency

An image of a man working in a commercial kitchen, surveying plates of prepared food.

Getting permanent residency in Canada can seem like a never-ending process. From long wait times to mountains of paperwork, you might be thinking to yourself, “There’s got to be an easier way than this!” We’re pleased to tell you: there is.

For many Canadians, a temporary work permit was their first step towards residency in Canada. Of course, getting a temporary work permit in the first place is a task all on its own. It’s important to remember that even if it seems difficult, it’s not impossible. You just have to know where to look, and what you need.

Today, we’ll be walking you through the basics of what’s required for a temporary work permit, and what the path from working to living in Canada might look like for you.

The Path for Workers: Express Entry

In 2015, the Canadian Government introduced the Express Entry program, which allows skilled workers – whether already working in Canada or still outside the country – to apply for permanent residency. There are several different paths available for foreign workers, which allows you to select the one that best suits your background and your goals for immigration. Bear in mind that a job offer from an employer in Canada isn’t absolutely necessary to apply for Express Entry – but it does significantly help your application.

The Path From A Work Permit to Permanent Residency

Before we go through the different paths to permanent residency, it’s important to remember that in most cases, the process is not a fast one. The average processing time may depend on many factors, such as the country you’re applying from, so be patient; we’ll get there.

Now, as we go through these options, we’re making the assumption that you have already obtained temporary residency. If you’re still looking to work in Canada on a temporary work visa, contact us to request an immigration consultation.

Canadian Experience Class (CEC)

If you received your job offer with a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA), you can apply for permanent residency after working in Canada for 1 year in a National Occupational Classification (NOC) A, B, or O skill level position. You’ll also need to meet minimum language test criteria, and additional points apply if you studied in Canada.

Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP)

Under the Federal Skilled Worker Program, you may have the opportunity to apply for permanent residency if you have at least one year of full-time, continuous work. To qualify, the Foreign Skilled Worker Program needs you to meet certain points requirements. A candidate’s education, age, adaptability, language skills, and offer of work will determine the total score.

Provincial Nominee Programs (PNP)

Provincial Nominee Programs allow employers to nominate foreign workers for permanent residency. A failed LMIA may become a successful job offer application through the PNP if the province has different requirements than the federal government. Applicants who are especially skilled at their work can typically expect a better chance of success with the PNP.

Finding Work in Canada

For now, permanent residency might be a dream that’s far off down the road. You may even still be looking for work in Canada, or for information about how to obtain a temporary work permit in Canada. If that’s the case, you’re in the right place.

At Tkachuk Immigration, we provide immigration consultations to help make the process of immigration easier, but we can also connect you to Monarch Recruitment, who specialize in helping Canadian employers and job applicants find each other. With a high success rate and experience handling thousands of cases for Canadian immigrants just like you, Tkachuk Immigration is a knowledgeable and trustworthy source for guidance with your application. Clients from all over the globe turn to us for assistance in navigating the complex immigration landscape of Canada, because we possess the experience required to help streamline the process.

To learn more about finding work in Canada, and how it can contribute to your application for permanent residency, call us at 1-647-892-1789, send us a message online, or chat with us on WhatsApp.


Don’t wait! Contact us for a phone consultation. Let us help you figure out your next steps. The sooner you have a plan of action, the better your chances of taking the correct steps to get the results you want.