Frequently Asked Questions About Studying in Canada: Answered!

Frequently Asked Questions About Studying in Canada: Answered!

A group of students looking at a notebook

Studying in Canada is a popular choice for international students from all over the world. Why? There are many reasons! Our schools are top-notch, our country is beautiful, and we have a diverse culture that welcomes everyone.

If you’re considering studying in Canada, then you probably have a lot of questions! Don’t worry; we’re here to help. In this article, we will answer some of the most frequently asked questions about studying in Canada. Whether you’re just starting to research schools or are ready to apply, read on for answers to all your questions!

What Is A Study Permit?

study permit is a document that allows international students to study in Canada. You will need a study permit if you want to take academic, professional, or vocational training at a designated learning institution in Canada.

To get a study permit, you must first apply to and be accepted by a designated learning institution. Once you have been accepted, you can then apply for your study permit.

What Are The Requirements For International Students?

The requirements for international students vary depending on which country you are from and what type of studies you plan on undertaking.

Generally, international students must have:

  • A valid passport or travel document
  • Proof that a designated learning institution in Canada has accepted you
  • Proof that you have enough money to support yourself and pay for your tuition fees, living expenses, and return transportation
  • Good health and character (you may need to provide a medical exam report)

What Is The Cost Of Studying In Canada?

The cost of studying in Canada varies depending on the type of school and program you choose. Tuition fees for international students are usually higher than for Canadian citizens and permanent residents.

Living costs also vary depending on the city you choose to study in. In general, cities like Toronto and Vancouver are more expensive than smaller cities.

How Long Does It Take To Get A Study Permit?

The processing time for study permits varies depending on the country you are applying from. It is important to apply for your study permit as early as possible.

Do I Need A High School Diploma From My Home Country?

Yes, you will need a high school diploma from your home country to study in Canada. If you do not have a high school diploma, you may still be eligible to study if you meet the requirements for mature students.

What Are The Requirements For Mature Students?

To be eligible to apply as a mature student, you must:

  • Be at least 18 years old when you start your program of studies;
  • Have been out of school for at least four years (you may still be eligible if you have taken some part-time courses during that time)
  • Prove that you have enough money to support yourself during your studies.

What’s The Difference Between Canada’s Colleges And Universities?

In Canada, colleges and universities both offer post-secondary education. The main difference between the two is that universities offer more academic programs, while colleges focus on more technical and vocational programs. Universities also tend to be larger than colleges, with more students and faculty members.

What Are Designated Learning Institutions?

A designated learning institution (DLI) is a school authorized by a provincial or territorial government to host international students. All schools in Canada that wish to accept international students must first be designated by their province or territory. You can find a list of all DLIs on the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website.

What Are The Requirements For Getting Accepted Into A Canadian College Or University?

Canadian colleges and universities have different requirements for admission depending on the institution and program you are applying for.

In general, international students must have:

  • A high school diploma (or equivalent)
  • Proof of English language proficiency
  • Specific academic requirements for the program they are applying to.

When Should I Start Applying To Schools?

The application process for international students can take several months, so it is important to start early. The earliest you can apply is usually around October for programs starting the following September.

Can I Work While Studying In Canada?

Yes, international students are allowed to work while studying in Canada. There are some restrictions on how many hours you can work, but international students can generally work up to 20 hours per week during the school year and full-time during scheduled breaks (like winter and summer holidays). You do not need a separate work permit to work while you study, but you will need a Social Insurance Number (SIN) from Employment and Social Development Canada.

What Is A Social Insurance Number?

A Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a nine-digit number that you need to work in Canada or to have access to government programs and benefits. If you plan on working while you study, you will need to apply for a SIN. You can do this at any Service Canada office.

Do International Students Need Health Insurance While In Canada?

Yes, international students need health insurance while in Canada. Health insurance helps cover the cost of hospital visits, prescription drugs, and other medical expenses.

There are a few different ways to get health insurance as an international student in Canada:

  • through your school;
  • through your province or territory;
  • through a private provider.

What Skill Level Is Required For My Language To Be Accepted?

The required skill level for international students varies depending on the institution and program they are applying to. In general, most colleges and universities require a minimum score of IELTS (International English Language Testing System) band six or higher.

What Is The IELTS?

The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is a test that measures your language proficiency in reading, writing, listening, and speaking.

You can take the IELTS at one of many testing centres around the world. The test takes about three hours to complete, and you will receive your results within two weeks.

Do I Need To Speak Both English And French?

No, international students do not need to speak both English and French. While it is an advantage to be able to speak both languages, it is not a requirement for international students.

Do International Students Need A Bank Account?

Yes, international students need a bank account while studying in Canada. A bank account will help you manage your money and make payments for tuition, rent, and other expenses.

You can open a bank account at most banks in Canada. To open an account, you will need to show the bank your passport and a letter of acceptance from a Canadian college or university.

What Is The Weather Like In Canada?

The weather in Canada varies depending on the season and the region you are in. In general, summers are warm with occasional periods of hot weather, while winters are cold with occasional periods of very cold weather.

Can International Students Get Scholarships?

Yes, international students can get scholarships! There are many different scholarships available to international students, so it is important to do your research to find the ones that are right for you.

A good place to start your search is the Canadian government website. Another great resource is your chosen school’s website. Many schools have specific scholarships for international students. You can also search for scholarships on websites like Scholarships Canada.

Can International Students Work In Canada After Graduation?

Yes, international students can work in Canada after graduation! To do this, you will need to apply for a work permit. Work permits are usually valid for the same length of time as your study permit, up to a maximum of three years. After you have graduated, you can also apply for permanent residence in Canada.

How Do I Get My Residency Permit After I Finish Studying?

After you finish studying, you can apply for permanent residence in Canada. To do this, you will need to submit an application to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC). Your application will be processed, and you will receive a decision within six months. If your application is approved, you will receive a Permanent Resident Card (PR card) which will allow you to live and work in Canada permanently.

Do I Pay Taxes If I Work?

Yes, international students who work in Canada will have to pay taxes. The amount of tax you pay will depend on how much money you earn and the province or territory you live in. You can find more information about taxes on the website of the Canadian government.

Do International Students Have Any Advantages In Canada?

There are many benefits to studying in Canada! Some of these benefits include:

  • Access to world-class education: Canadian schools offer high-quality programs that are recognized around the world.
  • A diverse and welcoming culture: Canada is home to people from all over the world, and our culture is based on inclusion and respect. You will feel welcome here!
  • An opportunity to learn English or French: Canada is a bilingual country, and international students have the opportunity to learn either English or French while studying here.


So, what are you waiting for? Canada is a great place to study, and we can’t wait to help you get here. Contact Tkachuk Immigration today for assistance with your student permit application, and let us make the process easy for you. We’re experts in Canadian immigration law and will be happy to answer any questions you have about studying in our beautiful country.


Don’t wait! Contact us for a phone consultation. Let us help you figure out your next steps. The sooner you have a plan of action, the better your chances of taking the correct steps to get the results you want.